Kind and Fair (My First Course)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GMT - 11 Hours Kind and Fair (My First Course)

Post  PrototypeGaming on 2/18/2017, 3:22 pm

Welcome to wonderland (hell)! Have fun!
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
PrototypeGaming

Back to top Go down

GMT - 11 Hours Re: Kind and Fair (My First Course)

Post  7616 on 2/19/2017, 3:16 am

Well, let's just say I can tell it's your first course.

This one lacks a definite theme for sure. One minute it's deception and light puzzling and the next it's a propeller Mario gauntlet. It was fun learning a quick route for this one but there's little time savers everywhere that could push this thing up another 2-3 seconds. Definitely improved with Haunted and Fleet.

Back to top Go down

Post  PrototypeGaming on 2/19/2017, 3:28 am

What do you look for in terms of speedruns?
PrototypeGaming

Back to top Go down

Post  7616 on 2/19/2017, 3:34 am

[Only admins are allowed to see this link] wrote:What do you look for in terms of speedruns?
You'll have to be more specific. What about speedruns do you want to know about what I look for?

Back to top Go down

Post  PrototypeGaming on 2/19/2017, 3:36 am

So in terms of levels, you tend to talk a lot about theme. Is that it, or is there more to it? I subbed to you too btw.
PrototypeGaming

Back to top Go down

Post  7616 on 2/19/2017, 3:53 am

Comments on theme are general statements about the level. I don't think this level is as good as your others because it's not really that unified - everything is thrown slapdash and after the first half IMO it falls apart. In speedruns I look for challenging yet rewarding timesaves. I love runs that have little optimizations here and there, even though half the time I can't pull them off.

When you're designing a level (or at least when I am) I ask myself three questions:

• Is the difficulty appropriate for my audience? I don't want bullet bill jumps and nuanced tricks like wallclipping or shelljumps in a level designed for newbies.
  • Is the level coherent? If I'm making a level, I want to stick to a consistent theme through my level, which you can see on my page. Advanced Walljump Techniques is walljumps and variants of throughout. Sunflower is all about Bee Mario, et cetera.
  • Could this level be in a real Mario game? This one is pretty subjective. Obviously not every level you make is going to be a hit, and Mario 2 (Lost Levels) had some terrible level design in places. Normally when I make hard levels I try to make them as anti-softlock as possible, and provide guiding marks with coins to direct players on what to do next when things are vague. This way they still provide a challenge, but the player isn't completely clueless and grasping at straws as to what to do next. Hope this helps.

Back to top Go down

Post  PrototypeGaming on 2/19/2017, 3:56 am

And how do you know the answer to those 3 questions?
PrototypeGaming

Back to top Go down

Post  7616 on 2/19/2017, 4:06 am

[Only admins are allowed to see this link] wrote:And how do you know the answer to those 3 questions?
You look at the level and judge it yourself, or you give the level to someone else you know who plays Mario and say "Hey, my friend made this, what do you think of it?"

Judging yourself obviously brings in the issue of bias. If you like a creation, you're going to want to keep it - but sometimes that just isn't a good idea. The best way to self-judge it is to play it the next day. Do you still like the level? Do you think it's fun and/or fair?

Giving it to someone else you know has advantages, but also if the person is too kind, they may hold back from telling you issues they find in the level. Your best bet is to tell them someone else made it and see if they can beat it. Listen to what they say, or watch them. After they beat it, tweak the level as necessary or fix the level where it's broken.

Back to top Go down

Post  PrototypeGaming on 2/19/2017, 4:12 am

Ok, so I was just working on a pretty hard difficult themed level for you. I read what you said and made it  a bit fairer. Still keeping the challenging parts. I'm finishing up the last few touches of it. hope you like it.
PrototypeGaming

Back to top Go down

Post  7616 on 2/19/2017, 4:14 am

Thank you! Can't wait to see it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top